Custom PHP Website Programming - 6 Guidelines to Help You Hire a PHP Programmer or PHP Web Development Company
Richard Whitney, October 12, 2011
Having a website has become a business necessity. PHP is one of the most widely used programming languages and the choice of most businesses today. Hiring a professional custom PHP programmer or web development company is essential to a business' success. Finding an experienced and dependable PHP programmer can be a very challenging. If you don't have a referral for a reputable PHP development company you are forced to search online and hope that you will find a PHP programmer or PHP development company that can provide you with a custom website or an enhancement to your current website. It's definitely a risk to hire a PHP programmer you really know nothing about. Most of the time it's a trial and error experience and that can become very costly.
Here are 6 guidelines to follow for hiring a PHP programmer or PHP developer:
- Decide what type of website you want or need. Do you want a PHP programmer to build you a custom website from scratch, a website redesign or PHP programming applications such as quote forms, contact forms, time-tracking, scheduler, etc.
- Be as specific as possible in your search using very specific keywords. For example if you are looking for a custom website built in PHP, type in php programmer or custom php programmer. You can even be more specific such as USA php programmer, PHP development company in Phoenix, Arizona or PHP MySQL developer for a doctor. So ideally the more specific your keyword search the more likely you will find a website programmer or web development company that is best suited to your needs.
- Make contact with your prospective PHP programmer. Don't bother making contact with any PHP programmer or PHP development company that doesn't have a phone number in addition to a contact form or email address. Having phone contact is imperative to your successful communication with the PHP programmer. The best way to initially contact a programmer is with an email and be as specific as possible about the website project. If it takes over 1 day for the PHP programmer to reply take that programmer off of your list. This is key! If they are a professional PHP programmer or PHP development company they will be responsive and reply to your email promptly. The speediness of the reply is indicative of a PHP programmers' professionalism and willingness to take care of your web development needs.
- Have a realistic budget in mind. The old saying goes 'You get what you pay for'. This is also key when you hire a PHP programmer. As a general rule if they charge more per hour (within reason) it's because they're good at at what they do. You don't want to trust the success of your web development to a programmer that is advertising 'affordable' low rate per hour or a newbie programmer that will basically be learning as they go when they build or enhance your website. If you want quality custom website programming and professional service from a USA PHP programmer or development company look at spending anywhere from $85.00 to $150.00 per hour. So budget accordingly. A good PHP developer will be able to accommodate your budget by supplying you with alternatives or even a multiple phase way of approaching your PHP development project.
- Talk to a live person. Make phone contact somewhere in between your intitial contact and making your final choice. Make sure you get a good feeling that the person you're about to trust 'gets it' and is easy to communicate with. Read testimonials and verify them if necessary by requesting references. When qualifying your PHP programmer be sure that the clients they have done work for in the past are happy with their services. This goes without saying. First impressions are important. Trust that.
- Plan on paying a deposit before work begins. Most PHP programmers will generally ask for a deposit of anywhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the estimated quote before commencing. This is standard and should be expected. Before you give any deposits make sure you have a good quote ( generally a range for example 15 to 17 hours to be completed in 3 to 6 business days). Generally the smaller the programming project the higher the deposit and the larger the programming job the smaller the deposit.
The bottom line is if you need a PHP programmer make sure you do your homework and follow the simple but effective guidelines above. By doing so your chances to hire a PHP programmer who provides quality custom PHP programming and professional service are very good and your overall experience will be well worth the time and effort you spent.